I live with a partner who doesn’t really like sweets. So, if I am craving cake and make a cake, inevitably, I will be eating the entire cake or throwing some out. Don’t worry, I won’t be eating it all in one sitting, but I will be eating most, if not all of the cake myself. I really don’t want to eat an entire cake and I don’t always want to go out and buy a piece of cake that probably cost more than it would cost me to make an entire cake. In times like these, I make a mug cake.
Today, I am going to explain how to make a Chocolate Mug Cake in the microwave in about 5 minutes. Yes, you read that correctly. In little more than 5 minutes, you could have a cake. It only takes 1 minutes and 45 seconds to cook this cake in the microwave. Not only that, but this cake is also egg free, dairy free, and depending on the type of flour you use, can be gluten free. Once finished, it’s fudgy, moist and delicious
Chocolate Mug Cake Recipe
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook time: less than 2 minutes
- Total time: less than 7 minutes
- Servings: 1
- Yield: 1 cake
- 1/4 cup flour (I use oat flour, but regular all-purpose flour works fine)
- 1/4 cup of sugar. I know this seems like a lot of sugar. I usually reduce it to 2 or 3 tablespoons instead
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla – I usually add more, approximately a tablespoon because I love vanilla.
- Optional secret ingredient – 1 tablespoon of your favorite liqueur. Lately I have been using Chocolate Chili flavored Kahlua.
I use the Pampered Chef Ceramic Egg cooker, but any large microwave-safe mug will work.
Mix flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in the cup.
- Add water, canola oil, vanilla, and liqueur if using it.
- Blend well
- Cook in the microwave until cake is done in the middle. About 1 minutes and 45 seconds, but this will vary depending on your microwave.
Enjoy your cake
You can eat this cake right out the mug or use a spatula and put it on a plate. Eat it on its own or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. It is moist and fudgy and delicious. Adding chocolate chips can make this recipe even better.
Here are a few options of variations that you can try:
- Use 3 tablespoons of milk and only 1 tablespoon of water.
- Add apple 1 1/2 tablespoons of plain unsweetened applesauce.
- Add protein powder or enrichables such as Kale & fiber powder or Super veggie powder. You may want to add a little more water if you add the protein powder
This is the nutritional analysis based on the ingredients I used, including the Kahlua. This recipe is one serving.
- Calories 641
- Total Fat: 31.1 s
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Sodium 456 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 78.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Total Sugars 57.4 g
- Protein 5.2 g
This is how you make a Chocolate Mug Cake in the microwave. It is delicious, moist, and fudgy. The version I make is egg free and dairy free. If you try it, I hope you enjoy it. Leave a message in the comments if you tried it and let me know what you think.
Tools that I used in this recipe:
- Ceramic Egg Cooker or Large Microwave-safe mug
- Petite Measure-All Cup
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoon set
- Spoon to stir
- Spatula to release from egg cooker